I wanted to do something the first year that conveys the mission of the studio - to provide quality dance education in a positive and uplifting environment.
How can we do that as dance professionals?
Model Positive Behavior
Your child will be a product of their learning environment. If they are spending time in a studio or learning from an individual that is known for being an adult bully, they will learn these behaviors. There is always a better option. I can tell you as someone that has performance experience beyond my undergraduate studies, that you will not book gigs if you have a bad attitude. There is always someone more talented, always someone that will work harder - having a good attitude will make people want to work with you. As a kid, learning this early on will open more doors, whether it's opens to a stage or not.
Creating optimism begins with the adult. It's not just a matter of professionalism on the teacher's part - it's lifelong interpersonal communication skills.
Focus on Effort
Part of the incredible thing about dance is the process. I definitely celebrate a kid hitting a perfect leap or busting out a new trick, but also find it's really important to appreciate the process. If a student is taking a little longer to get something, the fact they are trying is a big deal. I don't want kids to feel bad if they aren't getting something. You will literally fall in dance. Get back up (laugh at yourself if you want) and keep dancing.
Resolving Conflict
Realistically, it won't always be rainbows and butterflies in dance class. Kid's will have their feelings hurt by a fellow classmate. Kids will cut in line for tumbling time. It's my job to explain to the kid that cut the line why it hurt the other kid's feelings. How will kids learn what to do or what not to do if you aren't teaching them?
Allowing Kids to be Creative
One of the biggest reasons I love freeze dance or the free time at the end of a early childhood dance class, is how freeing it is for the kids. They are able to express themselves in their own way. It's no surprise this is what they look forward to the moment they sit down to stretch at the beginning of class. I try not to play a ton of music they know during class because I want to introduce other music, but during this time I'll play music they know and love.
Thank you for being a part of the Maine Dance journey. We are a young studio - I can't wait to see how we grow!
No comments:
Post a Comment